Asides from their status as a style or fashion accessory, sunglasses have a lot of health benefits for your eyes. Eye care is really important for our overall health, particularly since we rely on our eyesight every day. The American Optometric Association says you should always wear your sunglasses anytime you are exposed to UV or blue light. Although, protecting our eyes from harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays is one of the main benefits of wearing sunglasses, it’s not limited to just that.
Here are six reasons to always wear sunglasses outdoors:
- Protection from UV rays: A pair of high-quality sunglasses that blocks 100% of the sun’s harmful UV rays is the one thing that makes a difference between enjoying a pleasant outdoor activity and damaging your eyes. When we say ‘high-quality’ sunglasses, it means sunglasses with 100% UVA and UVB protection. Prolonged exposure to the sun’s UV rays can lead to cataracts, macular degeneration, pterygium and other related eye diseases. Cataracts involve a clouding of the eye’s lens that can blur vision; macular degeneration results from deterioration of the macula in the retina that destroys central vision; pterygium involves tissue growth on the eyeball. Therefore wearing just any type of sunglasses isn’t enough, it is sunglasses that have UV protection that can help protect against these conditions, keeping your eyes healthier.
- Protection against Weather Elements: Asides from protection from the sun, our eyes also need protection from other weather elements. For example, if you enjoy fishing or spending time on the water, the glare on the surface could reflect into your eyes and damage your vision. Also, snow reflects 80% of UV rays from the sun and can cause a condition called snow blindness (where the glare actually burns the cornea). Sand and dust can be dangerous too, as grains can get into your eye and scratch it, causing permanent damage. Wearing sunglasses while on the beach or in windy conditions can add a layer of protection against unwanted debris.
- Clear Vision and Better Performance: Sun rays can be blinding to your eyes. It’s uncomfortable to be outside in bright, blaring sun without shielding your eyes from that intense light. If your eyes are sensitive to light, you may need to squint or hold your hand up to block sunlight. Wearing sunglasses, especially those with the right lenses, will enhance the clarity of your vision without needing to squint or strain your eyes. This in turn will lead to an improvement in activities such as driving and better performance in sports like fishing, golf, water sports, skiing and so on. Simply put, sunglasses enable you to both enjoy being outside more and to perform better if you’re playing a sport.
- Healing and Quick Recovery: Corrective eye surgery is a common occurrence. If you`ve just had Cataracts, LASIK or PRK surgery to correct your vision, you should be extra sure to wear sunglasses. These procedures require proper time for the eyes to heal. As eyes recover, it`s important to keep them out of the sun`s harmful rays so they can heal completely. Wearing sunglasses is the ideal way to protect your eyes as they heal and help you adjust to your new vision.
- Reducing Headaches and Migraines: Extremely bright sunlight can trigger terrible headaches and migraines for some people. If bright light is a trigger for you, you may be able to avoid the pain and discomfort of a migraine by wearing high-quality sunglasses when outdoors. Wearing a high-quality pair of sunglasses helps to block out the sun`s light and reduce the intensity or frequency of your migraines. Even if you don’t suffer from headaches or migraines, wearing sunglasses when out in the sun can help reduce eye strain and fatigue, meaning you`ll just be more comfortable and enjoy your time outdoors even more.
- Looking Stylish: The right pair of sunglasses can beautifully complement or upgrade any look- and even amp up an occasion. Owning a pair of sunglasses is a fashion statement on its own. They come in different frames, shapes, sizes and lens colors to suit your personal style. You can even have different sunglasses for different activities or to coordinate with different clothing styles! Check out our online store to see our wide range of stylish and protective sunglasses.